Design a site like this with
Get started

Thats Old News

So lets see what was tea in 1979

Plan crash that happened in 1979

May 25th 1979, there was a deadly plane crash with American flight 191. Now, American flight 191 is located Des Plaines, IL. This plane was taking off from O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, IL on its way to Los Angelas.

Due to this plane crash there has been 271 deaths. That was 251 passengers and 13 crew members. Mc. Donnell Douglas was operating this flight when it took flight from running 32R when it crashed in the ground. This became known as the deadliest accident in the United States. As the plane was beginning to takeoff rotation, the left side of the engine was separated from the left wing. Which caused a flipping, over the top of the wing and landing on the runway. As the engine separated from the aircraft, it served hydraulic fluid lines that lock the wings leading edge slats in place. It damaged a 3 feet (1m) section of the left wings leading edge. As the aircraft began to climb, the damaged left wing produced far less lift than the right wing. With that being said, the slats still deployed and its engine providing full takeoff thrust. The disrupted and unbalanced aerodynamics of the aircraft which caused it to roll abruptly to the left until it was partially inverted. It started reaching a bank angle of 112 degrees, before crashing in an open field by a trailer park near the end of the runway.

It’s unknown what was said in the cockpit in the 50 seconds leading up to the final impact. The cockpit voice recorder lost power when the engine detached. The only crash-related audio collected by the recorder is a thumping noise that followed the first officer exclaiming “Damn!”, at which point the recording ends. This also explain why Air Traffic Control was unsuccessful in their attempts to radio crew to inform that they had lost an engine. This loss of power was useful in the investigation, serving as a marker of exactly what circuit in the DC-10’s extensive electrical system had failed.

The plane crashing

 A switch in the overhead panel would have allowed the captain to restore power to his instruments, but it was not used. It would’ve been possible for the flight engineer to reach the backup power switch, in an effort to restore the electrical power to the number one electrical bus. It would’ve worked only if the electrical faults were no longer present in the number one electrical system. In order to reach that backup power switch, the flight engineer would need to rotate his seat, release his safety belt, and stand up. Since the aircraft didn’t get any higher than 350 feet (110 m) above the ground, it was only in the air for 50 seconds between the time the engine separated and the moment it crashed.

There wasn’t sufficient time to perform such an action. In any event, the first officer was flying the airplane and his instruments continued to function normally. The wreckage was too severely fragmented to determine the exact position of the rudders, elevators, flaps, and slats before the impact and examination of eyewitness photographs showed. Only that the right wing slats were fully extended as the crew tried to unsuccessfully correct the steep roll they were in. The left wing slats could not be determined from the blurry color photographs, so they were sent to a laboratory in Pablo, California for digital analysis, a process that was pushing the limits of 1970s expensive equipment. The photographs were reduced to black-and-white, which made it possible to distinguish the slats from the wing itself and thus proved that they were retracted. In addition, it was also verified that the tail section of the aircraft was undamaged and the landing gear was down.

The aircraft involved was registered to Douglas. It had been delivered on February 25, 1972, and at the time of the crash, it had logged just under 20,000 hours of flying time over seven years. The jet was powered by three general eletric engines. A review of the aircraft’s flight logs, and maintenance records showed that no mechanical discrepancies were noted for May 11, 1979. On the day of the accident, in violation of standard procedure, the records were not removed from the aircraft, and were destroyed in the accident.

Image result for pictures of reporters on the scene of american flight 191
A reporter on the scene of American Flight 191

The reporters reported the news an hour later after it happened. News came from CNN, Fox, and ABC News. Some reporters went to the scene to see and also report the view of the sight.

Paul Marcotte was a reporter that was on the scene of the accident. He explained how it was sad to see broken families that was at the scene and seeing the look on the ambulance people face.

Forty years later, the crash of Flight 191 remains the deadliest passenger airline accident on U.S. soil.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: